The U.S.-Asia Law Institute hosts a small number of outstanding scholars each year. Our Visiting Scholars include judges, prosecutors, lawyers, legal journalists, and legislators, as well as academics.
The program for visiting scholars extends specified courtesy titles and privileges to scholars of distinction who visit New York University in order to engage in research and scholarship, and in general scholarly and cultural interaction with New York University’s faculty and students.
As a Visiting Scholar at the NYU School of Law, the U.S.-Asia Law Institute is pleased to provide the following opportunities.
- Title of “Visiting Scholar” at the U.S.-Asia Law Institute.
- Ability to audit NYU Law courses.
- Access to NYU Law & Bobst Library.
- Shared research/study space.
What’s Not Included?
- NYU cannot provide or help you to find housing in New York City or on the NYU campus. All Visiting Scholars are required to obtain their own housing for the duration of their visit.
Qualifications for the Visiting Scholar Program
1. A minimum of a Master’s degree, or its equivalent, prior to his/her arrival.
2. Demonstrate appropriate English language proficiency.
3. Show proof of financial support for all expenses. Scholars must demonstrate a minimum of $2000 per month, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members ($650 per month for spouses and $350 per month for children).
4. Maintain health insurance which meets the minimum federal requirements during the entire length of stay.
5. Payment of USALI program fees (details below).
Visiting Scholars at the U.S.-Asia Law Institute are required to pay the administrative program fees depending on their the length of their stay at NYU.
- 6-12 months: $5000
- 6 months: $2500
Increasingly, the Institute only accepts applicants who apply through the formal application process and begin on the timeline according to the NYU academic calendar. While we understand that academic calendars and deadlines vary throughout the globe and this may prove difficult for your application, we appreciate your cooperation.
Below is a general timeline (not exact) of the Visiting Scholar Application Process:
- Mid-December: Visiting Scholar Application Period Opens
- Mid-February: Visiting Scholar Application Period Closes
- Feb-March: Review of Application
- March-April: Interviews
- April: Successful applicants informed
- April-August: Preparation of Visiting Scholar for move to the United States
- August: Visiting Scholar arrives
- Late August: NYU Law begins Autumn semester
- Early September: USALI Orientation
2. COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION (link below)
The Visiting Scholar application process requires several formal components.
- Financial Information
- Records & Documentation
- General application information.
For more information and instructions about these components, please download our application instructions (Step 1).
STEP 3. SUBMIT APPLICATION
We will not begin to review applications until the application period closes, which is Sunday, February 11, 2019.
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 10, 2019. 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time
If you have any questions about the application process, please email: [email protected]