LAMP Fellowship provides an opportunity to be mentored by a Member of Parliament for a period of 10-11 months, subject to the Parliamentary calendar. During the course of the Fellowship, the Fellows will get the opportunity to engage with experts from diverse sectors and understand important policy and development issues of the country.
The Fellow’s primary task involves providing research support to the Member of Parliament (MP) that she/he is assigned to. A significant amount of the research a LAMP Fellow will undertake will be Parliament related, such as inputs for bills, parliamentary questions, policy discussions and standing committee meetings. LAMP Fellows are also required to provide background research for the conferences and media events MPs attend in their official capacity. While some MPs may delegate constituency-related work to their LAMP Fellows, taking up such work (including visits to the constituency) is subject to the agreement between the MP and the LAMP Fellow.
LAMP Fellows research topics as diverse as defence, food security, environment, economics and foreign affairs. Research tasks may include
- Legislative research
- Analysing data
- Framing parliamentary questions
- Background research parliamentary debates
- Research for Standing Committee meetings
- Drafting Private Member Bills
- Media-related work including drafting press releases, preparing interventions for TV appearances
- Research for constituency-related issues
- Interacting with stakeholders
LAMP Fellows rarely have a “typical” work day. Requests for research may have varying deadlines – ranging from thirty minutes to a couple of days, depending on the specifications of the MP. When Parliament is in session, the workload is likely to be heavier than the time period between sessions.
LAMP Fellows are expected to brief the MP on a regular basis, based on the research they conduct. Fellows are expected to meet the MP regularly to understand his research needs for work in Parliament.
Application Procedure and requirements
PRS seeks to engage with highly-motivated, bright young people for the LAMP Fellowship.
- LAMP Fellowship is open to candidates who are 25 years of age or below (i.e., born on or after 1 June, 1993).
- Candidate must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in any academic discipline.
- Only Indian citizens are eligible for the LAMP Fellowship.
The application must be submitted no later than 11:45 PM IST on Sunday, January 27, 2019.
This form requires you to submit two 500 word essays. It may be useful for you to have the following items ready before filling up the form.
1) Academic scores/grades (Under Graduate & Post Graduate or any other degree, if applicable).
2) Employment details, if applicable.
3) Internships/Voluntary work details, if applicable.
4) An original 500 word essay to justify your candidature for the LAMP Fellowship.
5) An original 500 word essay on a policy/law
The essays should be original. Any material used from other sources must be acknowledged. Candidates who have plagiarized the essays will be disqualified.
If you face difficulties filling out the online application form, please send an e-mail to [email protected]